If you are a newbie in business, it’s quite natural to have a confusing thought between the two terms website design vs.website development. Needless to say, you will not know whom to engage between the two – a web designer vs. web developer to improve your conversion rate.
In this blog let me throw some light on both the terms and save you from wasting thousands of dollars (which you might have already done by now) to create only some fancy-looking web pages and not getting the appropriate result.
But before that let’s discuss why a website is crucial for a business:
Website – A Window To Your Business
In this modern era can you think of a company without a website?
If a business doesn’t have a website, it’s sure to lose out on great opportunities.
A website is the window of your company. It connects you with your potential clients. It reflects your brand identity, advertises your product/service in an eco-friendly way and most importantly it drives traffic, increases sales and gives you a chance to build a long lasting relationship with your clients.
So, for every type of organization, it’s imperative to have a company website. And the site must be innovatively designed and appropriately developed to impress your target audience to keep them hooked to it. This concludes that you need both a web designer and a web developer to make your site visually aesthetic and user-friendly.
3 Quintessential Things You Need To Know About Website Design vs.Website Development
1) Website Design vs.Website Development- Difference in Approach
What is Web Designing?
Website design refers to the act of enhancing a website’s look and feel. In other words, web design governs the creative and aesthetic aspect of a site and also it’s usability. Web designing involves choosing a perfect color scheme that describes the brand, selecting a smooth site layout, setting the information flow and many other things that enhance the visual aspects of the site, i.e., the actions that are related with the UI/UX (user interface and user experience).
Web designers follow certain design principles to increase UI/UX. Take a look below:
- Balance – One of the vital design principles is ‘balance.’ Did you know a balanced site layout can attract your target audience in a jiffy?
Using the correct proportion of both dark and light colored elements will help you to achieve the appropriate balance.
- Contrast – You know that colors play a pivotal role while designing a site, what you might not know that according to color theory contrasting hues (the ones placed opposite one another on the color wheel) can bring in magical results in certain areas of web design.
Designers can pour in their creativity with contrasting sizes, textures and shapes to draw the attention of the audience to relevant sections of the site.
- Emphasis – Designing can’t be complete without putting stress on elements that need to captivate viewers’ attention. ‘Emphasizing’ or the art of ‘intentional highlighting’ is one of the most vital designing principles of the website layout.
Creative emphasizing are sure to work wonders and attract a vast pool of traffic to your site.
- Consistency – Consistency is a crucial web design principle. Needless to say, users prefer continuity while browsing a site. They don’t want to stumble while finding any information; they want a rhythmic flow.
So, every web designer must create consistent navigation and provide the best user experience.
- Unity – Delving deep into human psychology it’s seen that every website design must follow the designing principle of ‘unity’ also. According to Gestalt theory, unity refers to the action of how human brain visually organizes information by grouping elements into categories.
This design principle is essential because it creates a relationship between the various parts of the website layout and the composition as a whole.
What is Web Development?
Web development determines all the code that makes a website function smoothly. A web developer mainly focuses on three areas of coding- the client, the server and the database. He/she is responsible for choosing the right technology to deliver the desired look and feel in the final site.
Website development involves two categories—front-end and back-end.
The front-end or client-side of an application is the code that governs how the website will actually display the designs. It’s interesting to note that although front-end developer’s activity tends to overlap with the web designer’s, yet they are not responsible for creating mock-ups, pick color palettes or select typography. A front end developer is responsible for bringing the mock-ups to life.
The back-end or server-side of an application determines the management of data within the database. They are serving that data to the front-end to be displayed.
2) Web Designer vs.Web Developer- Skills Set and Tools Distinguish Them From One Another
Even though both web designer and a web developer aim to bring a site to life, the responsibilities, skill sets and the tools associated with each position are widely distinct.
Below are the common tools and skills of a front-end web developer:
- Git and GitHub
- CSS preprocessors (i.e., LESS or Sass)
- Libraries (i.e., jQuery)
- Frameworks (i.e., AngularJS, ReactJS, Ember)
Traditionally viewed tools and skills unique to a web designer are listed below:
- Adobe Creative Suite or other design software
- Graphic design
- Logo design
- Color palettes
- Inserting call-to-action buttons
- Wireframes, mock-ups etc
3) Website Design Vs.Website Development: Both are Essential Services For Business Success
Till now we had been discussing the difference between the two terms. Now let me walk you through their similarity as well.
Did you know both website design and website development are essential for business success? Why?
Mentioned below are some of the points that describes why you need to hire both web design and web development company-
- Website Design & Website Development Service Make Your Site SEO Friendly
With continuous Google Algorithm changes its essential to create search engine optimized site to rank in SERPs. So, hiring web development services would give you the benefit to build an SEO site thereby giving you more traffic.
- Impeccable Web Design and Development Services Increase Site Compatibility
To reap benefits from your website it’s essential that your site should be compatible with all browsers. A web developing agency can help to create a site that ’s compatible with all the web browsers.
- Web Design & Website Development Service Boosts Conversion Rate Optimization
The main aim of creating a site is to attract people to your site and turn them into potential customers. Hiring web design and web development service agencies will assist you in devising a site that boosts conversion rate optimized (CRO). The service provides would assist your visitors to glide through our site seamlessly and respond to your call to action (CTA).
From the above, it’s easy to infer that both web design and web development play a crucial role in bringing your site to life with eye-catching appearances and user-friendly functionalism coding. There’s a blurred line of difference surrounding the two terms “Web Design” and “Web Development.”
In today’s highly competitive world it’s important to be visible and we know that it’s challenging to stand out from the rest. So, while engaging web development agencies you need to find out those agencies who can add unique features that have the magnetic power to captivate your audience. Hope, this blog helps you to clear up any misconception about design vs.development and shows you that they are two sides of the same coin.